Sunday, April 24, 2011

Accurate butchery – a footnote


I've learnt an even rougher version of accuracy. We were putting in the windows, and the plate for one of them needed to be lower for the window to sit at the right height.


Bill the builder set the Makita to the inevitable 10 mm depth and did his usual multiple cross-cut intervals along the 2 metre plate.


"You wouldn't chip that out for me, would you? Have you got a little tomahawk?"


Yes, I've got a tomahawk, but I've never conceived of it as a carpentry tool. "It'll be faster," Bill said. So there I was, chipping out the waste with vehemence. "There's another lesson for me," I said to Bill.


"You've heard of an adze, haven't you?" he said.


Yeah, I've heard of an adze, in fantasy novels or some 19th century story like Robbery Under Arms. Still, whatever works most efficiently.


Bill did a bit of final cleaning up along the plate, then took my tomahawk home and sharpened it for me. It's not a total Makita world, not just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment